Thank you for considering Amethyst Arsenic to publish your work.
The next submission period for our Spring 2017 issue is Wednesday, March 1, 2017 - Friday, March 31, 2017. The issue is expected to be released on or about May 31, 2017.
We use Submittable exclusively. For your convenience, the guidelines are included here and there.
Amethyst Arsenic is open to all forms of poetry and art. Within this broad scope, we have a preference for well-crafted imagery that brings a fresh use of language and perception. We also lean towards vignettes, moments, stories and meditations on people, objects, and scenes; the intimate whether confessional or persona, versus broad commentary. For an idea of our aesthetic, please check out our Archives and Links for publications we admire.
We have published works from slam poets, academic poets, first-time poets, rising poets, and established poets, as well as all kinds of visual artists. We just care about poetry and art that moves us, and we don't care as much about the echelon you occupy.
If you have any questions or technical issues with our submission process, please email amethystarsenic[at]gmail.com. We will respond to polite inquiries.
- Copyright - Upon publication, we reserve first North American publishing rights, and archiving your work online. After publication, rights return to the author.
Payment - We pay $10 per accepted poem and artwork. Additionally, our featured artist will receive $50. Payments are made via Paypal. You also have an option to donate payment back to the journal, removing the need to worry about any transactions.
- We consider the response time to be any update from us on the status of the submission.
- Our response time is generally 30 days or less. A response from us can include: (1) acceptance or rejection of a submission, and (2) notification that a submission is still being considered for publication.
- We review all new submissions at least once a week. If we feel a submission is not a good fit for our journal, we'll inform the submitter right away.
- Final decisions for some submissions may occur the last week to several weeks after the end of the reading period.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay. We must be notified right away if a submission is accepted elsewhere.
- Please only submit once per reading period, unless otherwise invited by us.
- If you have been published by us or have been a guest editor, we prefer that you skip an issue before submitting again.
- Previously published work is okay with notification of the date originally published, the publisher, and confirmation that the publication is no longer available.
- Please submit a 3-4 sentence third person bio.
- Please submit 3 to 5 poems (via Submittable) in a SINGLE Microsoft Word (doc, docx), or Rich Text (rtf). Please name the file using your name. For example: LastName-FirstName-Poetry.
- DO NOT submit poems separately; doing so can increase our operations costs, so we will promptly reject those submissions.
- In the Submission Title entry of the submission form, enter Title of Poem(s), a 3-4 sentence bio. Please tell us a little about yourself, including who you are, why you write, and why you feel your work is a fit for our journal.
- We prefer that poems have titles. If not, we will use the first line as the title.
"Title 1," Oil on Canvas, 24" W x 24"H
"Title 2," Digital Painting, [include size only if printed copies are available] .