Thank you for considering Amethyst Arsenic to publish your work.
The next submission period for our Winter 2014 issue is Friday, November 1st, 2013 - Saturday, November 30, 2013.
We use the online submission manager Submittable exclusively. For your convenience, the guidelines are included here and there.
Amethyst Arsenic is open to all forms of poetry and art. Within this broad scope, we have a preference for well-crafted imagery that brings a fresh use of language and perception. We also lean towards vignettes, moments, stories and meditations on people, objects, and scenes; the intimate whether confessional or persona, versus broad commentary. For an idea of our aesthetic, please check out our archives page and links page for publications we admire.
We have published works from slam poets, academic poets, first-time poets, rising poets, and established poets, as well as all kinds of visual artists. We just care about poetry and art that moves us, and we don't care as much about the echelon you occupy.
If you have any questions or technical issues with our submission process, please email admin[at]amethystarsenic.com. We will respond to polite inquiries.
- Copyright - Upon publication, we reserve first North American publishing rights, and archiving your work online. After publication, rights return to the author.
Payment - We pay $5 per accepted poem and artwork. Additionally, we pay $50 for poems and art that receive the Reinhard Gade Memorial Award from us. Payment amounts less than $50 are made via Paypal or Amazon payments, and we will include extra to cover their fees. Payments of $50 or more have the option of a private check issued from a US bank in dollar currency. If you are outside of the US, please verify that those payment options will work for you. You also have an option to donate payment back to the journal, removing the need to worry about any transactions.
- We consider the response time to be any update from us on the status of the submission.
- Our response time is generally 30 days or less. A response from us can include: (1) acceptance or rejection of a submission, and (2) notification that a submission is still being considered for publication.
- We review all new submissions at least once a week. If we feel a submission is not a good fit for our journal, we'll inform the submitter right away.
- Final decisions for some submissions may occur the last week of the reading period.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay. We must be notified right away if a submission is accepted elsewhere.
- Please only submit once per reading period, unless otherwise invited by us.
- If you have been published by us or have been a guest editor, we prefer that you skip an issue before submitting again.
- Previously published work is okay with notification of the date originally published, the publisher, and confirmation that the publication is no longer available.
- Do NOT submit a bio. Instead, in the Cover Letter section of the submission form, just include your name. We will ask for a bio when work is accepted.
- Please submit 3 to 5 poems (using our submission manager) in a SINGLE Microsoft Word (doc, docx), or Rich Text (rtf). Name the file LastName-FirstName-Poetry.[doc|docx|rtf].
- DO NOT submit poems separately; doing so can increase our operations costs, so we will promptly reject those submissions.
- In the Submission Title entry of the submission form, enter FirstName Lastname - # poems
- We prefer that poems have titles. If not, we will use the first line as the title.
- Please upload a zip file (using our submission manager) of 3-5 JPEG, GIF, or PNG files, and a Word [doc|docx], or Rich Text [rtf] that includes your name, the artwork media, size, and titles of the work.
- The images should be no larger than 600 pixels wide by 600 pixels tall at 72 dpi.
- Name the zip file - LastName-FirstName-Art.zip (This is the file you will submit.)
- Name each image file incrementally: LastName-FirstName-1|2|3|4|5
- Name the text file - LastName-FirstName-Art-Descriptions.
- The text file content should be, for example:
- In the Submission Title entry of the submission form, enter FirstName Lastname - Art
"Title 1," Oil on Canvas, 24" W x 24"H
"Title 2," Digital Painting, [include size only if printed copies are available] .